Moi Moi is a popular Nigerian dish that is known for its delicious taste and nutritious benefits. It is made from steaming a mixture of grounded beans, spices, and other ingredients wrapped in banana leaves or aluminum foil. Moi Moi is rich in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients that are needed for good health. In this blog post, we will show you how to prepare Moi Moi in a healthy way that is both delicious and nutritious.
- 2 cups of peeled and washed beans
- 1 large onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish
- 1 can of corned beef
- 2 cups of water
- Banana leaves or aluminum foil
- Soak the beans in water for about 3 hours or overnight. Rinse the beans in clean water and peel off the skin by rubbing the beans between your palms.
- Wash and cut the onion, bell peppers, and scotch bonnet peppers into small pieces.
- Blend the beans, onion, bell peppers, and scotch bonnet peppers in a blender or food processor until it becomes smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a bowl and add the seasoning cubes, salt, crayfish, and corned beef. Mix well.
- Gradually add water to the mixture while stirring until you get a smooth and consistent batter.
- Add the vegetable oil to the mixture and stir well.
- Wash the banana leaves or aluminum foil with clean water and wipe with a clean cloth. Cut them into small rectangular sizes and fold into a cone shape.
- Pour the batter into the cone-shaped leaves or aluminum foil until it is about ¾ full.
- Place the cones into a pot of boiling water and steam for about 45 minutes to an hour or until it becomes firm.
- Remove the cones from the pot and allow them to cool for a few minutes before unwrapping them.
Your healthy Moi Moi is now ready to be served. You can serve it with rice, garri, or eat it as a snack.
- You can add other ingredients such as shredded carrots, green beans, or peas to the mixture for a more nutritious and delicious taste.
- You can also use baking cups or ramekins if you don’t have banana leaves or aluminum foil.
- Avoid adding too much oil or seasoning to the mixture to keep it healthy.
- Use a steaming basket or pot with a lid to prevent water from entering the cones while steaming.
In conclusion, Moi Moi is not only a delicious dish but also a healthy one that is packed with essential nutrients. By following these simple steps, you can prepare your own Moi Moi at home in a healthy and tasty way. So, why not give it a try today and enjoy the delicious taste and health benefits of this traditional Nigerian dish